Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Craigslist For Renting Your Home in The Hamptons

Photo, JoAnna Levenglick
If you are looking to rent or sell your house you can easily upload picture files on Craigslist and within seconds you will see your ad. That is the easy part. The hard part is dealing with the people who respond. I have been listing my house for some time now dealing with vacation renters, and I have never come across so many unreliable people who think that you will allow a group of 10-20 people in your home for 1000 dollars. That is just one problem, is that many people don't want to pay. The other problem is that many people who say they are going to do something fall through, and don't. One example was just this past weekend when I got an email from a woman in Manhattan who booked days in advance to come out and see the house on a Sunday. She told me 1 pm and I planned my day around her time preference. Once 1 pm rolled around....no woman in sight. I finally called her after 45 min. and she told me that she was just leaving Manhattan and would not be at my place until 3. I told her fine. She had emailed while in transit and confirmed that she was coming. To make a long story short after numerous emails back and forth, and me setting aside my day to meet with her, she never came. Just today I had a guy who confirmed a rental and said that payment would be made on Monday. When Monday rolled around, he said Tuesday for sure. Finally on Tuesday he called to tell me that he could not do it. Why do people have to be so irresponsible? I also notice that most people who respond to my ads do it while at work using the email address from their office. I wonder what the boss would say if he/she knew.

Photo, JoAnna Leveglick

No comments:

Post a Comment